Monday, April 30, 2012

A Highlands odyssey and orange treacle tart

I'm back in London again after a trip to the Scottish Highlands: walking, cycling, marvelling anew at each new view. A lot of cake was eaten, as well as not a few scones. I seemed to notice scones a lot on this trip - if I associate them with anywhere it is with the West Country, but are the Scots even bigger scone enthusiasts, I wonder?

One of the foodie highlights was a brief stop at Glasgow farmers' market on the way further north. The hot offerings included home-made burgers, hog roast and excellent curries. I also bought the first cakes of the trip (ginger cake and banana bread) and crowdie (an traditional Highlands soft cheese, difficult to find down south), which I find irresistible on oatcakes.

One discovery in a pub near Fort William was an orange treacle tart. I loved the hint of zestiness which married with what can otherwise be a piercingly sweet dessert. Here is my approximation at the recipe.


Orange treacle tart

250g shortcrust pastry
450g golden syrup
150g fresh breadcrumbs (white is usual but you can use brown if you prefer, not granary please!)
Zest and juice of one orange
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Roll out the pastry and line a 20cm tart tin. Line with greaseproof paper and baking beans and blind bake at 190C/gas 5 for 10-15 minutes or until the pastry is lightly cooked. Take out the paper and beans and return to oven for 2 minutes more to dry out. Turn the oven down to 180C/gas mark 4.

Warm the syrup slightly in a pan, remove from heat and mix in the breadcrumbs, orange zest and juice, followed by the eggs.

Pour into the tart case and bake for 30-45 minutes or until lightly set. 

Serve with custard or cream. I would go for custard myself, though the slight tanginess of creme fraiche also works well with the sweet filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment