Monday, June 27, 2016

Moving house, a dog-eared recipe folder, and how do you store recipes?

I'm preparing to move house. There are boxes everywhere. As part of this process, I'm sorting through a folder of recipes, mostly clipped from magazines. There are hundreds of recipes here, going back 15 years or more. Some of them are on newsprint that is beginning to turn yellow.

There are some I've now made so many times I no longer need a recipe, and others that I've yet to make. The best food writing stands out, because in those cases I remember the recipe and its introduction clearly, even though it's been years since I read it.



The thing is, these days I rarely consult this folder. It's far easier to search the internet for a recipe. I also now use Evernote, so I can capture web pages, save them, tag them and have them stored so they're searchable for future use. (Note: I have no connection or with Evernote, and I think Microsoft OneNote has a similar function). The thing is, now I fear that if Evernote ever ceases to exist, so will my recipe archive.

I don't use recipe books that much either, although unlike my folder of paper cuttings, at least they usually have an index. Most of my recipe cuttings have now been consigned to the recyling, either because I can't see myself ever making them, or because I've located them online and clipped them to Evernote.

Do you have a folder of favourite recipes? What's your solution to this issue? Let me know in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. A folder would be good for those recipes culled from food magazines. I keep my recipes on note cards (some pages from mags folded neatly) in a wee box. I belong to an online 'foodie' group where one can upload recipes for sharing and have certainly shared my fave recipes with other members. I like having an online 'storage area', but, to be honest, I prefer my recipe card box above all.

    ReplyDelete