Monday, October 14, 2013

The magic of slow-roasted tomatoes

I bought these tomatoes for a ridiculously small amount of money from a stall on Streatham High Road. Actually, loving a bargain as I do, I bought these and quite a few more besides.

When I couldn't use them all before they went soft, the answer was a long, slow spell in the oven. I'm aware this is hardly a recipe - but I loved how colourful they looked. And the result was exceptionally delicious.


Each halved tomato had a thin slice of garlic and a sprinkling of dried thyme and freshly ground black pepper. You don't need any olive oil - just a low oven, about gas mark 2/ 150C/ 300F (or even lower if you have the patience). Cook for a good couple of hours or until shrunk to less than half their original size. They will be sweet and taste like the very soul of a tomato.

At this point you can pack them in olive oil and keep them for a few weeks in the fridge, if you wish (I recommend sterilising your jars first). But I was too eager to use them straight away. They would have been fantastic on pizza or a simple puff pastry tart. Instead, I stirred them through spaghetti along with grilled courgettes, black olives, chunks of roasted onion and a spoonful of pesto. Summer may have gone, but this tasted like summer on a plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment