Sunday, May 12, 2013

Here's what I did with the rest of the duck eggs

So I still had some lovely local, organic duck eggs, left over from making the wild garlic carbonara. For some reason I'm not a huge fan of poached duck eggs - the yolks are delicious but I'm less keen on the slightly translucent whites. So I made scrambled duck eggs, which is wonderfully rich as well as showing off their gorgeous golden colour.


A couple of the simplest accompaniments: some lightly grilled cherry tomatoes, which were quite local, coming from Lancashire. They were impressively tasty, particularly considering it was the beginning of May and there hadn't been that much sunshine for tomato-ripening. Then a few wilted wild garlic leaves (picked just a stone's throw from where I got the eggs). You might think this a bit much at breakfast time, but it wasn't too overpowering, and added another splash of colour.

The tomatoes, incidentally, came from Booths in Windermere. This chain of supermarkets is unique to north-west England (their easternmost outpost is in Ripon). I'm not usually a fan of supermarkets, and shop in them as little as possible, but Booths has a remarkable range of local produce, treats its suppliers well, and the staff know about where the food comes from. I wish we had something similar further south.

The bread in the picture above is nothing special, but Booths was selling delicious handmade bread from Staff of Life bakery in Kendal. The fruit and nut sourdough was excellent, though I'm not sure it would have worked with scrambled eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment