Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A double-headed pizza

A good pizza is one of my favourite things. Actually, I could probably eat pizza every day of the week without too much difficulty. A bad pizza, on the other hand, is as disappointing as a cold bath: whether it be a soggy, doughy base, a greasy topping, or (heaven forbid) a combination of the two.

One of the joys of moving to London has been the discovery of any number of good pizza restaurants, where the base is nearly thin enough to see through, crispy round the edges, and anointed with interesting toppings. Nothing, though, beats the satisfaction of making your own. I use a bread machine to make the dough, then give it a second rise after baking it, then a brief blast in an oven that is as hot as I can get it before adding the toppings.


The tomato sauce has to be home-made too, though it doesn't have to be fancy - tinned tomatoes, onion, garlic and dried herbs is all you need.

The other day I felt like showing off, so I made two different toppings. You could do this on a large pizza and cut it in half if you have different tastes to please. Or cut it in half the other way so that you both get both toppings. Or just eat the whole thing yourself.

The one pictured above is roasted onion, mozzarella and tomato on one side, with spinach, tomato and goats' cheese on the other side. I particularly enjoyed the contrast of cheeses. I've never been a fan of four-cheese pizzas and the like, which I find a bit too rich, but this is a good way of introducing more cheese flavour without it becoming overwhelming.

Other things I love to eat on pizza: taleggio, roasted red onion and roasted garlic; spinach, mozzarella and egg (always baked on the pizza, never boiled, and the yolk must still be soft); spinach and ricotta; roasted Mediterranean vegetables; and asparagus, taleggio and cherry tomato. And not forgetting a simple Margherita with tomato sauce, mozzarella and fresh basil.

If you have any favourites, feel free to let me know using the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Seafood pizza works for me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete