Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A hearty stew for a cold spring night

No matter how desperate I am for blue skies and warmer temperatures, winter shows no sign of going away. All I can do is get out my trusty stockpot and cook something big and warming.

I have to admit I've got a bit bored with winter vegetables. Yes, I know I could probably do something exciting with Jerusalem artichokes. But it's March. Root vegetables have lost their appeal. So frozen and tinned vegetables have become something of a lifesaver. Dried pulses, too. At least I can get some colour and flavour on my plate, and it has the advantage of costing mere pennies per plate of food.

This is some kind of loose adaptation of a minestrone soup. But it's got lentils instead of beans, making it a really thick, hearty stew. Onions, carrots and tinned tomato provide the flavour base, with peas and green beans for freshness and colour. You could vary it though - add celery or leek to the base, or swap the green beans for chopped courgettes. Some broccoli florets or finely chopped spring greens wouldn't go amiss, either.


As you can see, I got a bit carried away with quantities when I was making it, with the result that I probably won't starve for the next week. Spring can wait...

Ingredients

Serves 3-4

1 tsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced 
1 tin tomatoes, chopped 
100g / 4oz dried pasta (I used spaghetti because I had it to hand, but you might prefer a short shape like fusilli, farfalle or macaroni)
100g/ 4oz dried red lentils
A handful or two of frozen green beans
100g/ 4oz frozen peas
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano

Method

Heat the oil and add the onion and carrots. Cook over a moderate heat, stirring, for five minutes, then add the garlic and cook for two minutes more.
Add the lentils and dried herbs with enough water to cover. Simmer for 15 minutes, then add the pasta and the tinned tomatoes, with more liquid if needed to cover. Cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the pasta and lentils are cooked. Add the frozen vegetables and cook for 3-4 minutes more. Adjust the thickness of the soup/stew by adding more water if needed. Taste and season as necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment