Friday, January 20, 2012

The trauma of sticking to resolutions

New Year’s resolutions – a good way to improve your lifestyle or setting yourself up to fail?

It gets almost tedious at this time of year hearing about people’s diets, detoxes, trips to the gym, lunchtime jogs around the park, badminton sessions, yoga classes...

I have made just one resolution, but it is tough! Apparently the best way to make goals is to make them specific, measureable, achievable, relevant and timely (SMART for short – clever eh?) So I have been very specific about mine. Basically, since I started my job six months ago I have been eating too many cakes, biscuits and chocolates, mostly because colleagues have a lovely habit of bringing in goodies for everyone to share. The trouble is, once they are right in front of you they are very hard to resist. And I’ve nothing against all these delicious things in moderation, but every day is probably not strictly necessary.

So my resolution is: eat no sweet treats at work for the duration of January. I’m not denying myself too much – I can still have chocolate or dessert at other times, but I reckon if I am healthy at work that will make quite a big contribution to improving my diet. I’ve made it more than halfway through the month, but it is hard going.


Worst bits so far: having serious chocolate cravings yesterday and being able to see the packet of mini Twirls sitting open near me. Then today a colleague brought in some home-made gingerbread cupcakes. I nearly faltered at that point.

We’ll see whether I make it to the end of January. I’ve no intention of denying myself forever, but the question is whether to introduce some kind of moderation longer-term.

How are your New year’s resolutions going?

5 comments:

  1. I haven't been as physically active as I'd pledged to be in the new year.

    Apropros of nothing, I finally made it out to the Brockley Market today. It was definitely worth a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's still time to get active! Am currently worn out from a 16-mile walk today. Followed by some cake, which was much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, not that well. maybe i'll try again in Lent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a resolution not to drink on weeknights. It lasted about two days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My resolution lasted until January 26. Then it crumbled at the sight of a colleague's home-made fresh berry pavlova. I ate some and I didn't even care that I was breaking my resolution.

    That said, one lapse does not a failure make and I am going to carry on until the very end of January - and maybe a bit longer to make up for my slip-up!

    ReplyDelete